Wednesday, February 10, 2010

the passing of Phil Harris...

Okay, I admit it. I'm a sucker for reality tv. But not all reality tv. Yes, I like Survivor and Amazing Race. No, I don't watch those crap reality dating shows.

My real love is Deadliest Catch. I guess there's a certain draw to hard working, hard living men for me. I grew up in rural Vermont, where that practical 'you do what you have to do' attitude is common. They work hard jobs with little complaint and provide for their families. The crab fishing, and the danger that goes along with it, just added to the appeal for me.

So today, as I read the news of his passing, my heart broke just a little. Fifty three years old is too young to die. I'm only a few years short of that myself. He should have lived long enough to enjoy watching his children run his boat. But I also think that his kids would have enjoyed his retirement more than he did. Like my dad, who he reminded me of, I think he would have been bored and restless as a retiree.

Today, I mourn the passing of Capt. Phil Harris of the Cornelia Marie. My heart hangs heavy. The show will be missing a piece of its soul without him. The deep love and pride you could see in him when he talked about his kids touched me.

My sympathies and prayers go out to his family.

No comments:

Post a Comment