Friday, October 28, 2011

Apparently my 15 year old self kept a book list, too....

I'm having a strange nostalgic moment. I'm trying to clean out the clutter in my house & in doing so, I've found several stories & a bunch of poetry that I wrote in my teenage/college years, along with all kinds of crazy stuff. (I was president of The Nice Buns Club in college - which involved oogling college boys' asses & trying to get in a squeeze at bars - and a contest for Best Buns at the end of the year. Yes, I was a total degenerate.)

The most interesting thing I found so far? A Star Wars notebook with an alphabetical list of the books I'd read over the course of the year at the age of 15. I didn't remember keeping a list, so it cracked me up. Apparently I was into lists back then, too. More interesting, though, is the books I read:

Alien (horror - loved the movie, too)
The Amityville Horror by Jay Anson (horror  - snitched from my father's shelves)
A Man Called Intrepid by William Stevenson (a true account of WWII and a spy - I can't fathom why I read this one although I vaguely remember it - weird)
Bugs in Your Ears by Betty Bates (emo story)
The Best Little Girl in the World by Steven Levenkron (emo - anorexia)
Break a Leg Betsy Maybe by Lee Kingman (dunno - guessing emo)
Cry for the Strangers by John Saul (horror - purchased in secret & hid from my parents cause it was creepy scary)
The Catherine Wheel by Jean Stafford (emo)
The Cliffs of Dread by Virginia Coffman (thriller - story of people who wrecked ships to rob them)
Cruel Shoes by Steve Martin (twisted stories - still have it on my shelves)
The Chopin Express by Howard Kaplan (espionage - inspired my first foray into story writing)
The Cranshaw Inheritance by Christine Etheridge (historical romance/suspense)
Dinky Hocker Shoots Smack by M.E. Kerr (emo)
The Devil's Doorstep by Marian Rumsey (I have no idea - guessing horror)
Deep Space by ?? (completely clueless but might have been a sci-fi anthology)
The Doubting Kind by Alison Prince (emo)
Dear Judgement by John Crosby (I assume its one I snuck from dear dad's stash - looks like a crime story)
Eye of the Gods by Richard Owen (again, no clue)
First Step by Jean Richardson (emo)
Find a Stranger, Say Goodbye by Lois Lowry (emo)
French Postcards by Norma Klein (emo)
Flowers in the Attic by V.C. Andrews (horror - and incest! eek)
Going Crazy by T. Hemmings (anorexia)
Gretchen, I Am by Carroll E. Jay (pretty sure this was horror)
Gentlehands by M.E. Kerr (emo)
The Golden Unicorn by Phyllis A. Whitney (suspense)
Get a Little Lost Tia by Phyllis Anderson Wood (emo)
The Hawkline Monster by Richard Brautigan (horror)
House Malign by Julie Wellsley (I assume horror - that seems to be a theme)
Haunted Houses by ?? (I'm guessing an anthology of ghost stories?)
Horizon by Helen MacInnes (thriller)
House of Strangers by Jennifer Hale (gothic thriller)
It's Okay if You Don't Love Me by Norma Klein (emo)
It's Not the End of the World by Judy Blume (emo)
Is There Life on a Plastic Planet by Mildred Ames (horror - about a girl who replaces herself with a lifesize doll - creepy)
Ice Castles by Leonore Fleischer (romance/emo - yes, I had a whole "Robby Benson is a doe eyed god" thing going on)
If Life is a Bowl of Cherries, What Am I Doing in the Pits by Erma Bombeck (the woman who made me really want to pursue writing)
Kiss a Stranger by Glenna Finley (romance - have a feeling I swiped this from mom's stash)
The Lansing Legacy by Ann Hyman (looks like a thriller)
Lady of Mallow by Dorothy Eden  (historical suspence/romance)
Like Mother, Like Me by Sheila Schwartz (emo)
Letter Perfect by Charles P. Crawford (emo)
Morning is a Long Time Coming by Bette Greene (emo mystery)
My Name is Davy I'm An Alcoholic by Anne Snyder (obviously, emo)
Mom, the Wolfman and Me by Norma Klein (emo - apparently a was a big fan of Norma)
The Magician's Sleeve by J.C. Conaway (I have no idea - at this point, I'm assuming horror)
Mistress Masham's Repose by T.H. White (girl discovers Lilliput - comedy urban fantasy?)
Night of the Scorpion by Rosemary Carter (dunno... horror? thriller? gothic?)
Nightmares by ?? (I'm assuming it was the poems by Prelutsky about monsters)
Night Stalks the Mansion by Harold Cameron and Constance Westbie (true ghost story)
The Ouija Board (I think this was a non-fiction book, because my parents gave us a ouija board that year & we were trying to contact the ghost that lived in our house - let's just say we put it away after several freaky things happened - truth)
Out of Love by Hilma Wolitzer (emo)
Outrun the Dark by Cecilia Bartholomew (horror - about a girl who supposedly murdered her brother & got locked in a mental institute)
The Phaedra Complex by Jeannette Eyerly (looks like a bad thriller/romance)
Punish the Sinners by John Saul (horror - kept this one hidden from my parents!)
Play Misty For Me (thriller - swiped from my father's bookshelf)
Rosemary's Baby (horror - again, swiped from dad)
Ronnie and Rosey by Judie Angell (emo)
Rich Kids by H.B. Gilmour (don't know -- here's a guess...emo? lol)
Sea Cliff by M Thomas Hinkemeyer (I'm guessing again...historical thriller? gothic?)
Sunshine by Norma Klein (emo emo emo - I remember this one)
The Son of Someone Famous by M.E. Kerr (emo)
Sooner or Later by Carole and Bruce Hart (emo)
7 Ways to Tell Fortunes & Predict the Future by  Jodra Petrie (don't know but guessing it was non-fiction)
Suffer the Children by John Saul (horror - again, a secret purchase)
The Sound of Midnight by Charles Grant (horror)
Something Left to Lose by Robin F. Brancato (emo)
Shadow of the Tamaracks by Sara North (I'm guessing from the cover...romance/thriller)
Seventh All Hallows Eve by Ruby Jean Jensen (looks like a gothic horror)
The Terror Trap by Willo Davis Roberts (gothic thriller)
The Tower Room by ?? (not sure who wrote it since there are 3 books by that title from the late 70's - but all of them are gothic thrillers)
The Touch of Evil by Lydia Colby (gothic thriller)
The Testing of Charlie Hammerman by Jerome Brooks (about a boy afraid of swimming - something I'm not to fond of myself)
The Turning Place by Naomi J Karp (about prejudice - emo)
There is a Season by ?? (again multiple books by that title - I think it was about a Jewish girl and Catholic boy - emo)
Two for Survival by Arthur J. Ross (about two diverse boys on a plane that crashes in the wilderness)
Voices Long Hushed by Barbara Ann Pauley (gothic horror)
Wrath of the Lion by Jack Higgins (from my dad's collection)
The White Jade Fox by Andre Norton (gothic thriller)
Where are the Children (horror - snitched from dad's stack)
Planet of the Apes (sci-fi obviously)
Beneath the Planet of the Apes (sci-fi)
Logan's Run (sci-fi - loved this one)
Logan's World (sci-fi)
The Omen (horror of course)
Damien: The Omen II (horror)

Apparently I was into emo "my-life-sucks" books, gothic novels, thrillers and horror. I remember the horror books because my parents would have freaked if they'd found out I was reading them. (I started sneaking them when I was 11 or 12.)

No comments:

Post a Comment