Why am I "emo mom"? An excellent question. My son decided that should be my title for the following reasons:
1. I like to read obituaries. I don't what that says about me, but I've been doing it since I was about thirteen. I like to read the names of the people who've died and their age. I want to know how they died. Was it cancer? A car accident? How? I like to see how its phrased - were they surrounded by family and friends? did they have children? grandchildren? Obituaries fascinate me.
2. I like angsty alt rock. Give me Kings of Leon, Foo Fighters, Airborne Toxic Event - anything that makes me feel gut wrenching emotion. In particular, I like songs where I can almost feel the singer's heart being ripped from his chest. Halleluiah by Jeff Buckley is my favorite song. Every breath, every note, conveys his emotion, although Sometime Around Midnight by Airborne Toxic Event comes damn close.
3. My favorite genre of books is urban fantasy. I love stories with vampires and werewolves, demons and angels, seelie and unseelie. The more devastation wrought, the better I like it. I like my heroines flawed and tortured by choices that truly test their character. If you loved a vampire, but to be with him you had to become one, would you? Why? I also love Horror books - especially Dean Koontz (oh Odd Thomas) and early Steven King.
4. My favorite author of all time is Edgar Allen Poe. I wish I could have met the man. Such amazingly dark and strange stories. If I'd had a daughter, she would have been named Annabelle Lee - my favorite of all Poe's works.
5. I like black. Black clothes, black nail polish, black eyeliner, black shoes. If I wasn't too old for it, I'd probably be a goth. As it is, I own a lot of black.
6. I wish I had a nose ring. Okay, I know, totally gross if you get a cold, but if I hadn't had strict parents who threatened me with disowning, I would have pierced my nose, my eyebrow, my belly button, and put a lot more than 3 holes in my ears - probably along the cartilidge. I would also be sporting a number of tattoos (which I still may get). You know the saying "Your body is your temple"? Well my temple likes artwork. Lots and lots of artwork.
7. I love vampire movies. Blade, Buffy, BloodRayne, whatever! If its got vampires in it, I'm there. I also love horror movies - not the weird "the Ring" type - give me Jason or Texas Chainsaw Massacre. And epic sci fi movies like The Fifth Element and Serentiy. I'd rather watch those than some sappy girl movie.
So, there. Those are the reasons I'm "emo mom".