Wednesday, December 8, 2010

The road less traveled....EMO post

The poem of my life....
The Road Not Taken by Robert Frost

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth.

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same.

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

My thoughts on it - Robert Frost is an idiot. You should always stick to the traveled path unless you're a masochist. My path was not one of choice, but necessity and its been brambles and skree and cliff climbing without gear. It's not a path any sane person would choose. (And I swear to God if another person tells me that I was "chosen" for this path, I'm going to punch them right in the nose - HARD.) The less traveled road has hidden holes that sprain your ankles, overgrown thorn bushes that reach out and flay the skin from your body, and nasty creatures that come out of nowhere and tear out chunks of your heart, your strength and your will. There is no light along the majority of this path - its dark, its empty and its tricky. Beware of the smooth stretches of path because they're a precursor to something that will have you sitting on the ground in the mud, head bowed, limbs weak, weeping like a baby. And the worst part is, you have precious cargo. A child. A child you have to lead through this misery and convince that this is NORMAL and OKAY. That there's a reason you're on this path. That it makes SENSE. You have to push forward because the path behind you vanishes in the blink of an eye. There are no do-overs. There is only now and forward. Up the skree hill, climb that rock face, patch up the torn bits as best you can and plod on. A child relies on you to create the way. A child, who no fault of his own, is all alone and struggling but believes there is an end where people will be waiting to welcome him. Not that he's ever experienced that. You can only hope that you prepare him well enough for this path so that when you fall, when you can no longer go on, he'll be strong enough to go on alone.

The road less traveled sucks, Robert Frost. It sucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment