Tuesday, March 19, 2013

A funny and strange book story...

Back in November (I think) I downloaded an e-reader book by J.C. Daniels (aka Shiloh Walker) called Blade Song. It's a fantastic book and I highly recommend it. A few weeks ago when the sequel, Night Blade, came out I was excited to read it and immediately downloaded it. Unfortunately, my TBR pile is miles deep, so I didn't get around to reading it until yesterday.

So, I start the book....and its weird, because Blade Song was in first person and its an urban fantasy. This book seemed to be a romance in third person about a girl who was abused and raped as a child, dealing with a psycho, trying to remember that past (she's blocked it out) and trying to trust the man she wants to love. It wasn't well written (it actually felt like a draft), but I thought...well, maybe there's a back story to get to the urban fantasy, so I kept reading. And skipping thru parts. And struggling to figure out how this fit in as a follow up to the first book.

I finished it this morning (really, I was skimming at that point trying to understand what the hell one book had to do with the other and wondering if the author had lost her mind somewhere between the two - which is highly unlikely because its Shiloh F-ing Walker). I thought maybe I'd missed something. I went back and looked at Blade Song. Nope. I thought maybe Night Blade came after this story - which was maybe a freebee offered up with it. Nope. I was all WTF?!?!? This can't be right? Am I losing my mind?

Then I remembered that maybe two days after I downloaded the book, I received an e-mail from Amazon saying that there was an updated version of the book. I'd ignored it, and deleted it - because I don't really care about updates. So I went to My Amazon and sure enough there was a link to download the update of Night Blade. I downloaded it. And waited. And....opened the book....

...the update is an entirely different book. And yes, it is the actual sequel to the first book! WT everliving FUCK?! So what was the book I just read? I. Don't. Know! I can tell you I wasn't a fan of it. It needed serious work. But I'm glad I now have the right book.

So I guess tonight I'm reading Night Blade. The real Night Blade. So strange.
Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment