Monday, October 1, 2012

Let's Talk Books!

I just want to apologize for not posting. I've been working my way through some of the most difficult days of my life and I'm finally (hopefully) seeing an end to the endless tunnel of stress, anxiety and depression.

Sooooooo....LETS TALK BOOKS!!!

Here's my plan. This first post is to give you a list of everything I've read since I last posted about books. And I've read a lot! But even better, I'm making October a review month. Every day I am going to review at least one of these books until I'm completely caught up. Or at least hopefully I'll be caught up, (I'm laughing right now, because it's going to be iffy) because I haven't posted the books I've read since June!!

So, here we go:

Books Read in July, August & September:


Shadow Bound by Rachel Vincent *****
After the Crux by Dani Worth ****
Between by Cyndi Teft ***
Glimmer by Vivi Anna ****
Knight’s Curse by Karen Duvall ***
Darkest Knight by Karen Duvall***
Tin Swift by Devon Monk ******
This Dark Earth by John Horner Jacobs *****
Tainted Night, Tainted Blood by E.S. Moore ****
Dawning by Vivi Anna ****
Dark Beauty by Taryn Browning *
Unbound by Adriane Ceallaigh **
Bloodlines by Richelle Mead ****
The Golden Lily by Richelle Mead ****
Third Grave Dead Ahead by Darynda Jones *****
Gunmetal Magic by Ilona Andrews *****
Bait Dog by Chuck Wendig *****
All Seeing Eye by Rob Thurman *****
A Wolf at the Door by K.A. Stewart *****
Anna Dressed In Blood by Kendare Blake ****
Technomancer by B.V. Larson ****
Under the Moon by Natalie J. Damschroder  ****
No Peace for the Damned by Megan Powell ****
Blood and Feathers by Lou Morgan ***
Precinct 13 by Tate Hallaway ****
Biting Cold by Chloe Neill *****
Haunted by Jeanne C. Stein *****
Mockingbird by Chuck Wendig ******
Taken by Benedict Jacka *****
Ashes of Honor by Seanan McGuire *****
In A Fix by Linda Grimes ****
The Killing Jar by Justin Zimmerman ***
Awakenings by Edward Lazellari **
Always the Baker, Never the Bride by Sandra D. Bricker *
Necromancing the Stone by Lish McBride *****
Vampire Assassin by Samantha Warren **

Like I said, its a LONG list - 36 books. My scale 0-6 Stars.

0 stars means I didn't even attempt to finish and is my own private list. I don't mention them because I don't want to crush any author. If you write, you put your heart and soul into it and you don't need anyone telling you that's worth shit. (Mom always said, if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all - its good, solid advice.) BTW, its a very short list since I find redeeming qualities in pretty much every book.

1 star means I skipped large portions of the book because it didn't appeal to me personally, and I'm happy to share why with these books because someone else might actually enjoy them for the very reason I disliked them.

2 stars means I skipped small portions of the book because I had issues with some aspect of it. 

3 stars is a good book. It probably has minor flaws in my opinion with plot or character or world building, but I would still recommend it. 

4 stars is a good book, leaning toward great.

5 stars is a great book with well developed plot, characters and world. 

6 stars is a book that knocked me on my ass with its brilliance.

So, welcome to October - my favorite month of the year! Why? Because it ends with Halloween (my favorite holiday) and contains my birthday. Yay! This year I turn 50! Scary, hunh? Well, not so much. You see, my older sister turned 50 last year, so in the true spirit of sisterhood, I spent the last year telling people I was almost 50 in solidarity. So, it's not such a big deal. What that has to do with books, I don't know. And you know what? 50 really isn't all that old mentally. I can't do cartwheels anymore, but I still love microbrew beer and angsty indie rock music, and I'm still a hardcore video game junkie. 

I will be posting my first review later today.
Karen













No comments:

Post a Comment