Thursday, October 4, 2012

Tin Swift by Devon Monk

It's no secret I'm a huge fan of Devon Monk. If you've never read her Allie Beckstrom series, you're missing out on a fantastic story with characters you will love.

Tin Swift is the follow up to Dead Iron, a steampunk story set in the wild west. Well, that's how its described. I would call this series a romantic steampunk horror urban fantasy western with faeries and magic and werewolves and well, it's just plain fucking fantastic.

I hate westerns. Really, I'm not kidding. And while I love dressing and decorating my house steampunk, stories in the steampunk genre have to be perfect for me to like them. Creating mechanical creatures and an alternate world run by steam is tricky business. When this book was announced, I thought - "ptht, not my thing" - and almost didn't buy it.

Devon Monk creates a steampunk/western world with such skill, it all makes beautiful sense. Her characters are fantastic and fascinating. And the action makes the book fly by much too fast. In fact, this is one of those series I actually pace myself because I want to devour it, but I also don't want to miss the smallest detail.

The detail is amazing.

Tin Swift gets my highest marks - 6 stars. It deserves it. This is one of those books that I tend to adjust bookshelves for (shhh...don't tell) in B&N. I've recommended it to complete strangers standing near me in the sci-fi section. In fact, I can't recommend it enough. It's different. It's interesting. And it's phenomenally well written.

Karen
(Hey, 4 posts in 4 days! Go me!)

No comments:

Post a Comment