Thursday, August 4, 2011

Desdaemona by Ben Macallan

This was a really unbelievably good read.

Jordan is a seventeen year old boy. He helps find lost kids and sends them home, then asks to be paid thru his paypal account. (I kind of loved that little bit.) Jordan is a man of mystery. We do know a few things about him...
  1. He's been seventeen a while
  2. He has a sixth finger on his left hand
  3. He's running from something/someone
  4. He doesn't like people using his real name
Here is what we don't know about him...
  1. How long he's been seventeen
  2. Whether he's entirely human or not
  3. Who or what he's running from
  4. How that sixth finger gives him something extra
Enter Desi, aka Desdaemona, a teenage girl. She has managed to hunt Jordan down (which scares the crap out of him) because she needs his help to find her missing sister, Fay. Desi isn't just a girl, though. She's a daemon - which means she sold herself into service of a master (we don't know who/what that master is) for several years for power.

Jordan agrees to help Desi, and so begins an action packed, wildly entertaining story with so many brilliant twists, it will have you hooked. The story is beautifully told from Jordan's POV. His descriptions of Desi, the places they find themselves, their interactions and their run ins with some nasty badasses are beautifully done. I could feel the story in my gut. Each puzzle piece is laid out perfectly. Everything that is revealed makes sense. And the ending! OMG!!

And yes, I did break down and talk to the book. (I do do that with books I love, you know).

I honestly don't want to give away too much of this book. I can say there's a sequel in the works called Pandaemonium - and I'll be buying it. Because I fell in love with these characters and their world. And I think you will, too.

I give it 5 enthusiastic stars with a little O-o for the ending. Write fast Mr. Macallan. I have to know what happens next!

No comments:

Post a Comment